Brooklyn's Outstanding Oatmeal Cookies


My food was Oatmeal Cookies. Oatmeal cookies are probably my favorite cookies
and I make the a lot so it only made sense to bake them considering I can't cook much of anything else.
Image result for oatmeal cookies Image result for oatmeal cookies
I researched the science behind baking soda and how it works. If you don't know, baking soda is what
makes baked good rise. When combined with an acid, the baking soda produces bubbles that get
trapped in batter which is what cases the cookies or any other type of batter to rise.

I took my recipe that I use every time I make cookies and I split it in threes. It was hard getting all the
measurements right especially splitting two eggs into threes. In the recipe, it calls for baking soda.
For the first batch I followed the normal recipe and used baking soda, for the second batch I used the
regular recipe but replaced the baking soda with corn starch, and for the last one, once again I followed
the normal recipe but instead of baking soda or corn starch, I didn't use anything.

Original Recipe:
Modified Recipe:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup of butter
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 ½ cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of baking soda
3 cups of oats 
⅓ cup of soft butter
⅔ cup of brown sugar
2/4 teaspoons of vanilla
½ cup of flour
2 tablespoons of an egg
¼ teaspoons of baking soda/ corn starch/ neither
¼ teaspoon of salt
1 cup of oats


Well the normal recipe came out normal. They tasted good as they should have. The corn starch in the
second batch gave it a weird taste which I did not expect. The amounts of corn starch and baking soda
are low so I didn't think it would have much of an effect of on the taste but it did. The last batch that
had neither came out good. The taste wasn't too modified and in the end I combined them with the
batter of the normal batch and they came out really good. The cookies were good except the ones with
corn starch have very little taste. They baking soda ones rose the most and they were the biggest in size.
The ones with corn starch were the thinnest and the flattest.

Baking Soda Batter Corn Starch Batter Batter with Neither

Left: Baking Soda Middle: Corn Starch Right: Neither


Comments