Introduction: My food chemistry project consists of French fries. Dating back to the 1600s French fries have quite a history in Belgium. In my experiment I made French fries with 3 different types of oils, i also kept the brand of French fries the same. I intended on experimenting with 3 trials, each trial is a different oil


Materials: cooking thermometer, Timer, bag of French fries, recorder, grape seed oil, olive oil, and canola oil


Procedure: for the first trial I used grape seed oil. First I lined the bottom of the pot (yes i used a pot) with the oil. I waited until the grease got hot enough to input the fries. I did that by using the thermometer and waiting until the grease hit 350 degrees. Once fries were inputted they came out of the grease with a span of 5 to 7 minutes, once taken out the fries were tested and the grape seed oil made the fries a golden brown and a little crispy. For the second trial canola oil was used. Using the same process from above the result was different because when I was heating the canola oil the goal was 350, but the canola oil heated past 350 it reached between 352 and 355 degrees. Once in oil the fries took about 5 to 10 minutes to get a golden brown coating but they were less crispy than the ones with the grape seeds oil. And finally for the final trial I used olive oil. With the olive oil It took about 3 to 5 minutes for it to heat up fully. Once inserted the fries took about the same amount of time as the fries in the second trial. After being taken out the olive oil made the fries a lot more crispier.


After conducting the experiment with French fries I can say that the fries came out better with the olive oil. The reason why I say olive oil is because olive oil made the fries crispier and because it’s a more cooking based oil to use. Canola oil is good for cooking but it’s not the most efficient oil and grape seed oil is more starch based, that means used mostly for pastas, dressings, or soups.

Comments